Re: Cape Town to JoBurg and some other excursion info

Christian Limpach (Christian.Limpach@Nice.CH)
26 Feb 1998 00:50:45 +0100

Jason Mayfield <ironman@saltmine.radix.net> writes:

> I called the Hyatt today out of curiosity. They do not recommend at all
> going to this part of town after dark. They said they could call us a
> taxi there which would run R$100-150, but it is not safe to rely on one
> for return transit. She said you could park a car in te area during the
> show, but carjackings in this area are very bad. Maybe we could all rent
> a big van or something to get back?

a van would be a good idea, maybe two, in case one gets stolen during
the show. But the shuttle idea sounds even better, so if we can get
that, Karen ? Anyway, I'm interested, whatever we do.

> This part sounds very cool. Anyone else considering the Hyatt? How much
> is there withing walking distance as far as places to eat/things to
> do/etc.

I'm definitely considering and pretty much decided on the Hyatt. Are
you decided ? What are other peoples plans ?

So far, there seem to be 3 things to visit in JoBurg:
- Rosebank Mall Rooftop market
- Krugersdrop (1/2 day) or Pilanesburg (whole day) park
- Soweto tour

I want to do the 3, but I think I will only have time for 2, unless we
can do one on Friday afternoon if we get into JoBurg on Friday
morning...

Friday: Krugersdrop
Sunday: Rosebank Mall Rooftop market
Monday: Soweto tour

What do others think ?

> The book I had recommended Jimmy's tour too. Said they'll even come to
> your hotel for you. Is anyone else planning to rent a car? We weren't
> planning on it. Is anyone else up for trying to do this Sunday or Monday?

We were planning to get a car but now it seems like we won't need one
in JoBurg if we get something arranged to go to and back from the show
and do tours the rest of the time...

christian