Re: Cape Town to JoBurg and some other excursion info

Jason Mayfield (ironman@saltmine.radix.net)
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:28:55 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 kkiefer@ngsinc.com wrote:

> Is there a web site where we can all post our itineraries? This would help
> me out a lot as I contact my friend in SA to try to plan some group events,
> as it sounds from several people that this is desired.

There is now. http://www.radix.net/~ironman/joburg.htm

Mail me your details and I'll post them best I can.

> As far as getting from the hotel to the show and back, I'll have to check
> exactly where the stadium is, but I don't think it's in a great part of
> town. So I would recommend car pooling, calling for cabs, or better yet,
> I'll arrange with my travel agent friend over there to take some shuttles
> over. He is a big U2 fan and will help me arrange a pre-show gathering.

I called the Hyatt today out of curiosity. They do not recommend at all
going to this part of town after dark. They said they could call us a
taxi there which would run R$100-150, but it is not safe to rely on one
for return transit. She said you could park a car in te area during the
show, but carjackings in this area are very bad. Maybe we could all rent
a big van or something to get back?

> If you are in the Jo- burg area on a Sun, the Rosebank Mall Rooftop market
> is not to be missed. They close the top level of the parking garage on
> Sundays and hundreds of artisans (many from nearby tribes, particularly the
> Ndebele tribe) sell their crafts. Prices are very low (you can bargain a
> little, but they don't usually budge more than 10-15% from the stated
> price). It the best place to get souvenirs. They have a lot of incredible
> stuff. The mall is only 1-2 blocks from the Hyatt.

This part sounds very cool. Anyone else considering the Hyatt? How much
is there withing walking distance as far as places to eat/things to
do/etc.

> There is a very small game park just outside Jo-burg called Krugersdorp.
> This is easily done in a half day, but you won't find elephant or leopard
> here (it's too small). You will find lion, but most are in an enclosed
> fenced area, so it's not quite the same as seeing them a few feet away from
> your car or Land Rover.

Could tours be arranged to pick us up from the hotel? I'd like to do
more, but don't think we have the time. All I care about are seeing a few
zebra. ;-)

> Soweto. I hear this a great one-day or half-day tour. This is the largest
> township in Africa, created during Apartheid. It is said to be even bigger
> than Jo-burg. It is technically part of the Jo-burg area and is not a far
> drive from Sandton or Rosebank. Do not go by yourself. I hear Jimmy's
> Face to Face Tours offers the best tour of the area. In the townships you
> will see some extreme poverty, indications of a high crime area, but also,
> particularly in the smaller townships, you will see a lot of activity -
> people out and about and a strong sense of community and a thriving human
> spirit. It can be refreshing and initimidating at the same time.

The book I had recommended Jimmy's tour too. Said they'll even come to
your hotel for you. Is anyone else planning to rent a car? We weren't
planning on it. Is anyone else up for trying to do this Sunday or Monday?

Jason