Re: Cape Town to JoBurg and some other excursion info

Christian Limpach (Christian.Limpach@Nice.CH)
26 Feb 1998 01:08:50 +0100

kkiefer@ngsinc.com writes:

> I have heard wonderful things about the Blue Train that goes between Cape
> Town and Jo-burg. If you have the time (a whole day) in your itinerary,
> I'm sure it will not be a disappointment. The cheapest airfare I have seen
> so far between the 2 places is $120. If I don't find something cheaper, I
> may opt for this train myself.

I don't think the train for which I quoted the price ($100) is the
blue train. From my brochure that I have here, the blue train only
runs on selected dates, in the week between the 15th and 22nd only it
only runs on the 18th which wouldn't be too bad. But the price seems
very high, the price I have here is $950, well, maybe a little too
expensive. The train only has space for 84 people, which explains the
high price, I guess...

> This is a nice complex of shops, restaurants, bars and games. They even
> have an Internet cafe here, as well as a laser tag game. It surrounds a
> small man-made lake and is very livey, especially on weekends. There is a
> mexican cantina here, called Cantina Tequila. I know the owner, and intend
> to contact him to see about setting up a nice pre-show gathering there.
> This is a very fun and lively place. Every night they turn up the music
> and people get up and start dancing on the tables. I'm sure he could cater
> to a group of U2 fans on a nice Sat afternoon. I don't think it is far
> from the stadium, but will verify this.

hmm, do we know yet, if the audience is seated or not. Because if
it's not, then we would have to queue early to get into the restricted
area (pitch) in front of the stage. I don't care too much about
getting to a railing, but getting into the pitch is a must...

> * Hike or take a tram to the top of Table Mountain. A hike is 2-3
> hours.
> * Tour the beautiful nearby wine regions of Stellenbosch or Paarl.
> (These rival some of the best wines in the world - similar to
> California climate)
> * Visit the southwestern-most point of SA at the Cape of Good Hope
> * Watch the humpback whales from the shore at Hermanus.
> * Sunbathe on one of many beautiful beaches. At some, tops are
> optional.
> * Walk around the very nice Alfred and Victoria Waterfronts where you
> will find the Hard Rock and many other shops and restaurants.
> * Take in a game reserve. There is one on the way from Cape Town to
> the Cape of Good Hope.

these sound all very good and interesting. I guess we can get a car
and then decide when we get there what exactly we want to do. Or do
we need a guide to do these ?

christian