Re: Cape Town to JoBurg and some other excursion info

kkiefer@ngsinc.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:48:45 -0500

Jason Mayfield <ironman@saltmine.radix.net> writes:
> I called the Hyatt today out of curiosity. They do not recommend at all
> going to this part of town after dark. They said they could call us a
> taxi there which would run R$100-150, but it is not safe to rely on one
> for return transit. She said you could park a car in te area during the
> show, but carjackings in this area are very bad. Maybe we could all rent
> a big van or something to get back?
* a van would be a good idea, maybe two, in case one gets stolen during
* the show. But the shuttle idea sounds even better, so if we can get
* that, Karen ? Anyway, I'm interested, whatever we do.
That should not be a problem at all. My friend has 2 or 3 large vans I
think. He has already offered to shuttle us around as necessary (that's
what he does for a living). And I believe it will only cost $5/person each
way. I will have him plan to shuttle everyone from their hotel/guest
houses to any pre-show gatherings and to and from the concert.

* So far, there seem to be 3 things to visit in JoBurg:
* - Rosebank Mall Rooftop market
* - Krugersdrop (1/2 day) or Pilanesburg (whole day) park
* - Soweto tour
* I want to do the 3, but I think I will only have time for 2, unless we
* can do one on Friday afternoon if we get into JoBurg on Friday
* morning...
* Friday: Krugersdrop
* Sunday: Rosebank Mall Rooftop market
* Monday: Soweto tour
* What do others think ?

The market opens at 9am I believe and closes at 5pm on Sun. You can
probably see what you want to see within 2 hours time, so that could leave
Sun open for more sightseeing if desired (depending upon what time you get
up and go to the market!). I myself will probably be up late on Sat, and
will not be an early riser on Sun. I am leaving Sun evening so I will try
to do the Soweto tour on Friday probably. But all 3 things sound good to
me.

> The book I had recommended Jimmy's tour too. Said they'll even come to
> your hotel for you. Is anyone else planning to rent a car? We weren't
> planning on it. Is anyone else up for trying to do this Sunday or
Monday?

* We were planning to get a car but now it seems like we won't need one
* in JoBurg if we get something arranged to go to and back from the show
* and do tours the rest of the time...
You may want to play it by ear. If everyone wants to do similar things
than a shuttle is the way to go. If not, perhaps you can rent a car for
just one of the days if you want to explore on your own or in smaller
groups. I don't think there would be a problem getting one on the same day
if you call in the morning or the previous day. My friend can assist with
this as well.

Karen