Re: Cape Town to JoBurg

Christian Limpach (Christian.Limpach@Nice.CH)
25 Feb 1998 01:12:17 +0100

Jason Mayfield <ironman@saltmine.radix.net> writes:

> > There's also a train ride, sleep wagon, 1st class, takes 26 hours and
> > it's $110. Might be more fun than the plane, who knows ? Jason ?
> > You're the adventurer :-)
>
> I'd say it certainly sounds like the biggest adventure. :) If I were
> going to Capetown that would certainly be my plan.

So, who would be interested in taking the train to go from Cape Town
to JoBurg, speak up if you're considering it, as Darci said, it could
be fun if more of us go by train...

> Can anyone give me a serious appraisal of Jo'Burg crime? A friend in
> London who left Jo'Burg three months ago says he was afraid for his
> family's safety. Not like there's crime everywhere, but it's certainly
> dangerous. He also said the stadium area tended to be very bad with no
> public transit options. Any ideas? How are people getting from the
> concert to hotels? Just wanted to make sure I got all the opinions...
> Jason

So far, I've heard, that it's more dangerous than South America, which
proved not to be more dangerous than other places, so... I've also
heard of a friend of a friend who got almost robbed and beaten to
death and getting help after he was injured proved to be difficult,
since the gangs have scared people to a point where they don't want to
help somebody in danger or who was attacked by the gang. I don't know
what to think of this. On the other hand there's this info from the
police on the website you found some days ago (stadium info) which
tells you what to do to be safe, which is not really different from
other cities, so...

Since Taxi's supposedly also rip you off (whatever that means... do
they take you somewhere where you don't want to go and then rob you or
do they "just" charge too much ?) we were thinking about getting a
rental car, but I don't know how well that works for getting to the
show and back, I mean finding a place to leave the car nearby the
stadium, might be difficult. From the pictures on the Web, the
stadium seemed not so far from downtown, but as you said, that's not
the part of town, where you want to be at night, so walking is
probably not an option. Maybe Karen or her friend in South Africa can
give us some hints about this ?

christian